You have no doubt seen the many articles and news stories that question the future of The Domes. The truth is, The Domes face some serious maintenance challenges and tough decisions lie ahead of us.
The ultimate decision on how to proceed with the future of the Mitchell Park Horticultural Conservatory is in the hands of the Milwaukee County officials; however, the Friends of The Domes has been an active participant in the discussions.
Many people ask what we think should happen … our response: The Milwaukee community needs and deserves an urban conservatory — and there is no better home than Mitchell Park!
Many do not realize that there has been a conservatory on the Mitchell Park grounds for more than 150 years. An urban conservatory is critical to the health and well-being of Milwaukee County residents; and our world-class plant collection deserves a world-class facility.
The Friends of The Domes membership is 3,500+ strong. By becoming a member, you are sending a clear message to elected officials that maintaining a world-class conservatory in Mitchell Park is critical to not only the health of Milwaukee residents but also to business. Nearly 200,000 people visit The Domes every year — and we have received national and even international attention because of our beautiful and unusual gardens under glass.
In terms of the future, Friends of The Domes continues to provide support and resources that make it possible to work toward a solution.
The Mitchell Park Domes:
- Is an oasis in an urban environment providing therapeutic value of an indoor tropical and desert garden throughout the year;
- Adds value to Milwaukee as a tourist destination;
- Has a positive civic impact on the neighborhood;
- Provides valuable educational programming for families and school children;
- Is a unique and beautiful venue for winter celebrations and holiday events;
- Is home to a 3.2 million dollar world-class plant collection;
In answer to the question we hear daily, “What can we do to help?” we say: Support The Domes: